Date:
Wed, 23 Jan 2008 12:22:16 -0800
I have also noticed that dads get snapped at from their wives if they try to give advice or solutions that first 2 weeks or so. What wives want to hear from their husbands are things like:
"I'm amazed at your strength and patience"
"Honey, I'm so proud of you"
"You're really a natural mom, aren't you?"
Moms want loving support from their husbands,
not suggestions. They want suggestions & info from professionals.
Also, when moms ask for their husbands they need to be sure and tell him what the priorities are. If she asks him for a sandwiche, vacuum and take the clothes out of the dryer, she needs to say she wants the sandwiche first or he may leave her hungry and vacuum first:) Of course the biggest challenge may be for her to admit she herself isn't sure what her priorities are. (Unless she is starving).
Someone needs to remind the dad to take care of his own needs so he can take care of her needs.
Vicky York,
IBCLC, CPD
Postpartum Care Services
Rogue Valley Area, Oregon