From:
Sulman Family <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 26 Aug 1995 21:45:14 +0500
I have not worked with any mothers who are HIV+ and have followed with
interest all the comments in recent days on this topic.  One thing I was
thinking about is that pasteurizing her milk so she could feed her baby
with her own breastmilk would give her satisfaction in one sense.  But I
think it would also be important to explore with such a mother her feelings
about breastfeeding in its other dimensions.  While it sounds like she
could possibly safely give her baby her pasteurized breastmilk, she would
not be able to feed her baby at her breast.  She might need a chance to
talk about her sense of loss in this regard.  Other ways of nurturing her
baby (shared sleep, "wearing" her baby, and other ways of enhancing
attachment parenting) could be shared with her. I don't know whether it
would be helpful to  try cup feeding, because a baby in this situation
would need some way to satisfy his sucking needs.  Use of a pacifier/
bottle nipple for feedings would give this, but of course this baby
wouldn't derive the benefits of breastfeeding in terms of tooth and jaw
development.  The mother could be encouraged to vary the sides on which she
holds the baby, so the eye and facial muscles develop equally (just like we
encourage bottle feeding mothers to change sides). Still, I would think a
caring listener would be important, just to be there if she wants to talk
about her feelings of loss about not being able to provide all the aspects
that are a part of breastfeeding, and to acknowledge how much she wants to
give all she can to her baby.
Anne Altshuler, RN, MS, IBCLC