From:
Paula Freeman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 19 Sep 2002 13:13:56 -0400
Dear Lactneters,

I would like to post concerning a study in J Allergy Cin Immunol 2002 Jan;
109(1Pt): 119-21

"Probiotics during pregnancy and breast-feeding might confer
immunomodulatory protection against atopic disease in the infant."

-Rautava S, Kalliomaki M, Esolauri E., Department of Paediatrics,
University of Turku

I found the abstract in the NEASE (National Eczema Association for Science
and Education)Newsletter "The Advocate".

Double-blinded, placebo-controlled study of 62 mother -infant pairs. It is
shown that administering probiotics to the pregnant and lactating mother
increased the immunoprotective potential of breast milk, as assessed by the
amount of anti-inflammatory transforming growth factor beta 2.

The risk of developing atopic eczema during the first 2 years of life in
infants whose mothers received probiotics was significantly reduced in
comparison with that in infants whose mothers received placebo  (15% and
47% respectively.)  P=.018

In the conculsion it says", Administering probiotics during pregnancy and
breastfeeding thus offers a safe and effective mode of promoting the
immunoprotective potential of breast-feeding and provides protection
against atopic eczema duting the first 2 years of life."

WOW I wish I would have known that when I was pregnant with and breastfed
my boys! You can easily guess why I get that newletter.

Sincerly,

Paula Freeman
Physical Therapist and hope to be LC