From:
Billie Jean Frye <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 15 Aug 2004 16:47:09 -0400
Hi,

I'm enjoying, very much, this thread about how we LC's can fit in and work
with doctors.  I'm sorry to be going away for a week and will miss the rest!
There are definately unspoken "laws" between professionals.  Many of them
are just courtesy and are fine and others are wrong, but hard to change.  I
do run into situations where I'm not sure what to do or say.  I work in the
hospital setting.  On our unit, all breastfeeding mothers automatically get
a visit from an LC.  Many times, as I make my rounds, I have a mother say to
me something like, " My pediatrician told me to breastfeed for 2 minutes so
the baby won't be too tired to take his bottle."  (Yes, I heard that once!)
Now, in view of the fact that the baby is full term and completely healthy
and a good nurser, what can be said?  I have learned so much from my
partner, Judy Hatfield!

We could say, "Your ped is WRONG!"  But that isn't professional and can
certainly bring upon the deserved wrath of the ped.  We could also drop the
subject and just let it slide and hope that baby ends up breastfeeding in
spite of it all.  For me...I just can't live with myself or feel happy in my
job doing that.  So, what I've learned to do is get a really puzzled look on
my face and say, "Really?  Did he say why the baby needs a bottle?  No?
Well, normally, healthy babies need only breastmilk.  In fact....."  On the
occasion when a mom picks up on the fact that I'm contradicting her doc, I
tell them that in reality, her pediatrician has many areas of healthcare he
must stay current on.  I'm sure it can be difficult to keep up on the
current studies related to breastfeeding.  My job IS to stay current.  So
far, I haven't had trouble with this approach.  I also make a point to say
hello to the docs and be friendly and helpful to them.  It's probably harder
to ban an LC that you like as a person.

I'm lucky to have Judy to vent to when I'm sick of doing this little dance.
She always reminds me of the goal....keep seeing the patients and keep their
babies breastfeeding!

Billie Frye
(Leaving for Girl's camp in Vermont!)