Date:
Tue, 9 Oct 2001 11:15:17 -0500
Hi Marsha,
I am responding offlist.  I  began a new position on August 6 this year at a
hospital with a small "breastfeeding store".  At the two other places I have
worked as an LC, we did not do any retail.  In Austin, everything was
referred to the Durable Medical store, part of our network, but not a direct
responsibility.  We have Medela pumps in house, and rent only Medela through
the store.  They do sell Avent pumps in the store also.  I am not under the
impression that there is an exclusivity commitment, however.  If an inpatient
wants a pump, she can rent it in her room from the LC or educator on duty.
The patients seem very happy to have this service.  We do give everyone a
list of places in the area to rent from, I feel compelled to say "you are
under no obligation to rent from us".  They rent from us 99%of the time.  We
have a NICU, some very active infertility docs, with lots of twins.  We keep
120 pumps, over a 100 are always out.
The store sells lots of breastfeeding stuff, pumps, shields, shells etc.,
Lansinoh, along with several lines of nursing bras, nightgowns,
shirts,pillows,stools
and even those silly nursing coverups.  They also sell lots of cute stuff,
blankets, and stuffed toys,dolls, photoalbums, books, fenugreek and blessed
thistle, and Burt's Bee products, and other fun things.  The store always has
an IBCLC, as we also do free wt checks, and some outpatient consultations
there.
What I do not know is how involved Medela was in the set up of the store,
I am under the impression that they did not direct much.
The store is very successful, enough that the profits are paying for
additional floor staff, ME yeah!!!
I hope this helps,
Lu Bush
RNC,IBCLC