From:
"Andrea C. Tran" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 24 Apr 2007 13:02:05 -0600
I don't think of women who "succumb" to formula as "weak", but in
most cases scared and probably misinformed. How many doctors have
said "It's FINE if you give formula." ? Most women are not as well
informed of the risks of "just one bottle".

As for formula being given to a shelter, I would guess that most of
the mothers in a situation like that are beyond the point of no
return in terms of their decision about how to feed their baby, and a
woman with money who has made that decision can go buy the formula
her baby needs, whereas by definition a woman in a shelter is having
financial issues.

I think the hospitals need to stop giving out formula, I think women
need to be thoroughly informed about the risks of formula feeding and
I think we also need to recognize that some people need to give
formula. If every single mom I worked with that had insufficient milk
supply wanted to use donor milk, there would not be enough.

Andrea Tran RN, IBCLC
Erie/Boulder, Colorado