Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 30 Oct 2015 20:04:14 -0500
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (21 lines)
I must say I may have an unpopular opinion on this. First, I don't think all or most babies need supps in first 48 hrs, nor would they need very large volumes like 30 to 60 mls. However, in regards to the question "are babies hungry after they are born?" I would have to say, it seems like they are at times. They have been eating in utero, they are consuming amniotic fluid, which I think must be a nourishing fluid. They are also being fed via the placenta. What sensations are they feeling when they are born? Maybe it is a form of hunger pangs as their tummy empties and there is no amniotic fluid to drink, and also no nourishment coming from mom's placenta. Surely they suckle just by instinct too, and this drives mother's supply, and for comfort I'm sure. However, having observed babies for 36 yrs, I definitely believe that babies get hungry after a day, if not sooner, maybe some it's later. They know somehow that the breast is not giving them a fluid, when the breast does not, and they refuse strongly to even suckle once they realize they are hungry and nothing is coming out. So I do see this at times, when mother's breasts are only giving drops after a day or so, (why is this by the way, as some mom's are  pouring colostrum out and can express a whole ounce immediately???) and baby is getting ? hungry ? at that point.

The care of infants has a component of evaluating pain on newborn pain scales. If the baby is crying and sucking his hand and is inconsolable by any measure, and milk cannot be expressed or only drops, I think it is cruel to not provide food to the infant. This is not a common occurrence but not a rare occurrence either, in my experience. It can happen on 2nd day or 3rd day when the mom is a primip for example and a c/s birth, and infant is 9 lbs. Other scenarios I've seen as well. I wish there was donor milk for those times. But I do feel that babies experience hunger fairly soon in life.

<<<> "Day of life 0-3....Sucking DOES NOT = Hunger.  Everyone has a job to do.  Babies are not born hungry- otherwise they would "eat inside of mama."  Babies are born with a high suck need. She asks: "Why would nature have a high suck need with low volume?  Because baby needs to suckle, so he can clean out the meconium via paristalsis in infant gut/tummy.   We are generally not that hungry if we're full of poop!  At the same time, Mom needs to nurse in order to set prolactin receptor sites, in preparation for the normal increase in milk volume on days 3-4…….>>>

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2