From:
Diane Wiessinger <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 29 Jul 1999 20:06:52 -0400
Still no-mail, but this is too cool to wait:

A 13 month old had mouth sores that ended in a nursing strike by the
time they'd healed.  For 5 days the mom used skin-to-skin, getting no
further than not having him scream when he got near her breast.  Twice
he nursed in his sleep, never when he was awake.

One of you lactnetters (Karen Zeretzke?)had told me about spinning a
baby to end a strike, and it was one of the ideas I passed on to her.
After 5 days and getting desperate, she took her shirt off, stood up
and held him in a cradle hold, *spun* rapidly in one direction, *spun*
in the other direction, and offered her breast.

He latched right on.  And he's been nursing up a storm ever since, as
if making up for lost time.  "It was like magic," she kept saying.  I
asked her if she had any sense of just what went on in his head.  "It
seemed reflexive," was her comment.  He just latched on as he always
had, and the strike ended.  Boom.

A co-Leader of mine said spinning is sometimes used in some forms of
physical therapy.  But it's sure going to be near the head of my list
of solutions for nursing strikes from now on.  Skin to skin and
sleep-nursing aren't working?  Try spinning!

Diane Wiessinger, MS, IBCLC, LLLL  Ithaca, NY