From:
Peggy Ventura <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 17 Sep 2007 07:55:54 -0700
Unfortunately, I used the word 'discretion' in my post about breastfeeding in public. Really it is more about working with the 'culture' you are in. Sorry, the 'Applebee's culture is not conducive to open breastfeeding. Does this mother usually breastfeed at the table at home?That is just a question.

More to the point though I would like to address the 'Bill Maher' comments. Have we all forgotten what his role is ? He is supposed to shock and offend, all to get people up in arms. It seems to me that some folks here have taken the bait.

I was surprised though to learn that Bill Maher is a spokesman for breastfeeding through PETA. Considering his generally misogynistic attitudes I find this stance to be disingenuous.

Peggy Ventura ITSN

Kathleen Bruce <[log in to unmask]> wrote: I have just come in on this discussion, as I was on a writing deadline.
However, I do not think that everyone has the same idea about breastfeeding
needing "discretion,"..some women feel more comfortable just breastfeeding
in public, ...I believe that when I had my children, I felt that I was
better off just nursing my kids...the cloth over the shoulder, over the
baby, etc, drew stares, and everything then was nervous and tried 'not to
look,'.  In any case, I don't think that it's all that necessary, personally
speaking, though I do help mothers if they feel the need.  In cultures all
over the world, mothers have no qualms about breastfeeding in public with
more breast showing, and that's because as Kathy Dettwyler says, the breast
is not a sexual object in these cultures.  Best, Kathleen

Kathleen Bruce RN IBCLC
Independent consultant:
Lactation Resources of Vermont, Medela, Inc. Listowner Lactnet listserv

Mail all commands to [log in to unmask]
To start it again: set lactnet mail (or
To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet or