From:
Maureen Minchin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 25 Jan 1996 09:46:50 +1000
>From:    "Linda J. Cartwright" <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: Tandum Breastfeeding

>       Does breastfeeding contribute to a higher probability of miscarriage?

No. Breastfeeding, like skin contact, like coitus, like orgasm, causes
oxytocin release. Oxytocin release causes uterine contractions but does not
stimulate premature labour unless there are large numbers of oxytocin
receptors present in the uterus, and other conditions are right. If so,
then all these causes of oxytocin release can bring on labour (and
personally I think nipple stimulation is preferable to oxytocin injections
anyday). If not, not. In normal pregnant mothers there are too few oxytocin
receptors (or some other hormonal override is in place) for breastfeeding
to have any effect. What's maddeningly illogical is to hear healthworkers
saying sexual intercourse is fine, even multiple orgasm is fine, as long as
you don't enjoy it while breastfeeding. Could it be perhaps that an adult
partner gets resentful if important sources of mutual pleasure are
needlessly removed while we expect an infant not to mind? (since they can't
tell us that they do. And they DO!) The logical approach to the habitual
aborter, who clearly has an abnormal uterine environment that allows early
delivery of an immature baby, is either ban all sources of oxytocin release
or none. Does anyone know of any medical literature on this? it's largely
come to me from animal physiologists, who all know far more about
economically valuable animals like sheep and goats and wallabies than we
know about women.