From:
laurie wheeler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 15 Sep 2002 18:35:08 +0000
I believe that the poster who wrote that formula lowers bili levels faster
than breastmilk also said that this doesn't mean formula is preferable. She
was just stating a fact. But we have to be careful becoz some hcp's
interpret this to mean givng formula is the best treatment. I would say that
stopping the breastfeeding to give formula or even supplementing the bf w/
formula is almost never indicated. However, I believe that if it is decided
to be done (maybe trying to avert an exchange transfusion) it is preferable
to cont. bf, supplement w/ a lactation aid at the breast if baby is bf. And
phototherapy of course would already be started. Like someone else said you
have to see how old the baby is, how sick, what are the contributing causes,
how fast is the level rising, etc.

Laurie Wheeler, IBCLC, MN, RN
New Orleans Louisiana, s.e. USA