From:
Janet Simpson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 6 Sep 1995 00:57:28 -0400
Hi All,
As a personal note on resistant mastitis, I had a case that was not only
bi-lateral but lasted for 3 1/2 months.  I also had severe trauma to my
nipples, but you'd think that antibiotics would have helped clear the
mastitis.  Wrong.  I started on Dicloxicillan about three days into the
Mastitis, (we were hoping I wouldn't need it).  After 2 rounds of Diclox (10
days each) we switched to Amoxicillan (I think.  It's been awhile) 10 days
then back to Diclox, 10 days then tried Kelfex 400mg 3x per day, 7 days...
We kept alternating the antibiotics because the Mastitis was so resistant.
 After a few days on one antibiotic the mastits would start to go away only
to reappear with a vengance a couple days later!  Our plan of attack was to
*surprise* the mastitis by changing the drugs enough to keep it at bay, and
to hopefully, finally knock it out.   My OB OK'd higher dosages of each drug
because I had a very weak immune system,  I had been over treated with
penicillans in the past and he was afraid I'd develop an abcess and end up on
IV antibiotics.  Finally, the mastitis was knocked out,
though it took 3 1/2 months.  Talk about a pain.  Surprisingly, I never
developed any yeast problems and neither did my son.  I gave him my milk
during the entire time I was on the antibiotics.
In my opinion, tho I am not a medical person,  if the Mastitis is not
responding to one antibiotic after several days or a full round of the drug,
try a new one.  If the Mom has been over medicated with one type of
antibiotic (like me with penicillan), she may be resistant to that drug
already and may need a different type of antibiotic to achieve results.
During my bout with mastitis, I was told to keep the breasts as drained as
possible at all times, in other words, since I had to pump (because of nipple
trauma I couldn't BF yet) I was to pump every 2 hrs during the day and every
4 hours at night.  I was not to get overfull at any time, and I was to pump
'til nothing came out every time.  It was a real hassle, but that's what ya
got to do.

So that's my personal opinion, but remeber it's just anecdotal, and it's what
worked for me.
Good luck!
Janet
LC2B!  :)