From:
Sara Schouten <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 16 Jul 2008 09:51:45 +0800
Hi Suzanne,

I feel very sad reading this, as in Perth Western Australia this would be
considered normal behaviour, and staff would support mums to breastfeed
however they felt comfortable. It is normal to see mums expressing or
breastfeeding in various states of undress. Screens are only used very
occasionally at a mothers specific request. Mothers get the opportunity to
see other mothers breastfeeding and expressing and this often gives them an
opening to get to know and learn from each other.

Some years ago expressing was only done in a small expressing room, and then
expressing at the bedside was commenced, and very quickly became the norm,
with quite marked increase in volumes of milk expressed.

Sara Schouten
IBCLC RM ABA Breastfeeding counsellor
Perth  Western Australia