From:
Barbara Ash <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 30 Sep 2005 15:44:04 EDT
Teresa makes some excellent points on why apprenticeship systems  work.  I
agree with her. Her contributions to Dr. Jack (not an IBCLC)  Newman's  book are
obvious proof of her knowledge, training and expertise  in our field.  But,
I'm not saying apprenticeships/mentorships should be  eliminated. On the
contrary, we NEED apprenticeships.  We need people  who have excellent technical
skills and counseling skills, and business  management skills mentoring future
IBCLCs. I'm saying they should be  standardized, guaranteed to be of sufficient
quality and quantity to turn out  professionals, and to guarantee the safety
of the public.  Yes, doctors,  dentists (who were also at one time in the US)
midwives, lawyers and other  professionals used to enter their profession
through mentoring.  Times  change, though.  Consumers of professional services,
these and others, are  not willing, nor should they be expected to play Russian
Roulette with the kind  of medical or legal service they pay for.  They are not
willing to accept  informally and unevenly trained "professionals", and I
don't blame them.   We all complain about it ourselves.  Even with the standards
put in place  by the medical and legal professions, there are still some
screw-ups out there;  everybody knows the story of the surgeon who cut off the
guy's left leg instead  of his right.  The point is, with better training, comes
overall better  service.

Requiring education does not rule out anyone.  I went to college at  what is
now the equivalent of a $40 K a year with no help from anyone.  I  put it
together with loans, scholarships, working my butt off, working summers,  etc.  If
you want something bad enough, you find a way to do it.   Thousands of women
go to college or pursue other higher education, or even  finish high school
degrees for that matter, and work outside the home with young  children. Women
who have served in the Armed Forces in the US can use their  education
benefits.  There are other scholarship options.  We don't  live in a society anymore
that allows everyone to stay at home.

I respectfully disagree that a medically oriented IBCLC (of which I proudly
declare I am one) would not be as good counselors, or cannot or do not like to
 be the warm and fuzzy type too.  Nothing makes me happier than when I can
combine my skills to help a breastfeeding dyad achieve their goals.  OK, I
will admit that using the broadest brush possible, like about 5000 miles wide, I
have seen, in my limited personal experience that mother-to-mother counselors
 generally have better counseling skills than medical professionals.  This
is exactly WHY we need standardized training.  With that, we can get those
with the less-than wonderful skills to work on them (a lot) until they get the
idea, not spend 2 hours on it in a one week butt in the seat course.

The exam cannot be made "more demanding" or "more difficult" because (1) it
is an "entry level" exam; i.e., by the role delineation study, the skills and
knowledges defined by practicing IBCLCs included in the exam are what new
IBCLCs  should be able to do.  and (2)  it is an INTERNATIONAL exam.   Study
materials have to be available to candidates either in their own  languages,
English as a second language or English.  How many languages is  Riordan translated
into?  None that I know of.  There are bilingual  pioneers out there in
Poland and Iceland and other countries that have put  together wonderful education
programs and translated volumes of information in  order to allow women from
their country to study and become IBCLCs.  They  do it totally voluntarily.
For free.  On their own time.  The  problem here, if it is a problem, is that it
is an "international" profession  that is 95% American, Canadian, Australian
and European.

The idea of having a written part, or a counseling report, on the exam  would
be great, as I think this is one area we all could use constant  improvement
and practice on.  It is something that is exceedingly difficult  to test in
the multiple choice format.  But, it is economically impossible  to do this. [
Unfortunately, the general IBCLC public does not have access  to how much it
costs to actually write and administer an exam.  It would  surprise and horrify
you, considering what you pay for it.  Did you  know that most credentialing
organizations this size have a handful of test  centers across the nation and
applicants go there (and don't complain about it  to take the test?)  Did you
know the average cost of an exam of this  type is several hundred dollars more
than the fee for the IBCLC exam?   ] But, I digress.  In addition, this type
of addition to the exam  process would make the exam psychometrically invalid
because it would be  completely subjective.  That would discredit the exam in
the eyes of the  certifying agency that blesses the organizations who grant
certifications.   (Very complicated stuff.  See _www.noca.org_
(http://www.noca.org) , and click on the NCCA tab.   You have to really care about certification
to get into this; trust me.)

So, we are beginning to see how complicated this issue is.  It's not  just a
question of 'write some harder questions' or 'make fewer hours required',  or
'not everybody can afford to take a few classes and buy a few books'.   Being
an international board certified lactation consultant is a profession, not  a
hobby, not a volunteer counselor, not an, God forbid, "add-on credential" that
 you can only achieve if you are already an RN.  It's just like any other
profession.  We need to think of it that way.

In closing, I want to say that I for one would not be crazy about having  the
lovely lady from Guatemala who cuts my hair and with whom I communicate with
sign language and photographs filling any of my cavities, no matter how many
dentists she watched.  But she does a great job with my hair, after having
gone to school to study it.

Barbara