From:
Esther G <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 2 Feb 2001 06:50:04 +0200
<Have some of you an experience with such a baby ? This mother want to
continue breastfeeding as long as possible...>
Francoise, I had a mom several months ago sitting in my breastfeeding room
who came over to me after the class and I could see that she needed special
attention.  I also realized that I had seen her before. It turned out that
it was her second birth in a short time.
Her first baby had been diagnosed with Werdnig-Hoffman at about 5 months of
age.  I remember that we had had problems with dysfunctional suck but in the
end we managed to get her breastfeeding and she   continued fully
breastfeeding almost forever in this case.
The baby was hospitalized the first time at age 10 months for a URTI.  The
docs asked to see her previous hospitalization records (that was after they
had ridiculed her for "still" breastfeeding.)  When the mom said that this
baby had never been hospitalized, they did not believe her! W-H babies have
all sorts of problems which have them in and out of the hospital very
frequently.  When the mom innocently remarked " but she is breastfed, and we
know that breastfed babies are hospitalized less, ( she was one of my good
students!)"  the docs were silent for a whole minute and were amazed. There
was simply no other explanation!!
This baby died at age one year and  four months, two months prior to the
birth of the new baby.  The mom kept thanking me that I helped her to
breastfeed.  That was one of those days that made everything worthwhile.
Apropos Dianne's thread, that was shark repellant.
I am not sure about all the details above. I am going from memory because I
don't have my files here, but that is more or less the story.  I think I
posted this story when it happened.
Good luck with this mom, and give her lots of love and encouragement.

Esther Grunis, IBCLC
Tel Aviv, Israel
mailto:[log in to unmask]
BTW, I also had a virus called navidad or Emmanuel, exe.  Be careful of
attachments that say emmanuel......vicious little critter!!