From:
"Linda J. Smith" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 25 Oct 2001 11:49:37 -0400
Tammy, all of your initials are pertinent to your job, so I'd say "use them
all."  You've earned them, and should be rightly proud of each!  I prefer to
list all my credentials whenever possible, because each tells the reader
something about my qualifications.

The only reason to NOT use all your pertinent titles is when a certain
publication, organization, or database has established a limit of a certain
number of titles, or spaces for the titles (in the case of a database
field).  For example, in the early years of ILCA, I ran the membership
database on a very primitive (by today's standards) computer. Due to limited
data storage capacity, we established a limit of 12 characters in the
"credentials" field. A person could list any credentials desired, but only
up to 12 letters and spaces. I listed ACCE, IBCLC because both of those
credentials implied I have at least a bachelor's degree.

Some days I'm tempted to add "PGOC - proud grandmother of Carrie" or "GZ -
granny zealot."

Linda J. Smith, BSE, FACCE, IBCLC
Bright Future Lactation Resource Centre www.bflrc.com
6540 Cedarview Ct., Dayton, OH 45459-1214 USA
(937) 438-9458 email [log in to unmask]