From:
Leslie Ward <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 24 Oct 1998 20:19:12 -0400
Hi All,
  The more I get depressed and rant, the more someone proves me wrong,
so I guess I should rant daily!! I had a follow-up recently with my mom
w/pierced nipples, she initiated the meeting, so I know she is committed
to breastfeeding. Baby is latching well, nursing ok (not as long as I
liked to see, but certainly ok for now). He looks good, still a little
small. Between our interactions, she had a visit with the baby's
pediatrician. She (the Dr.) went over the same things I did, said no, no
(very nicely and with reasons) why not to be using supplements and said
baby gained, not much but is gaining, so let's not worry just yet. YEAH,
I guess things can work out, as last year this Dr. had serious problems
as she would reduce moms to tears with her dogmatic and rigid 'rules.'
So I guess we are making a difference.
  On utopia, I work in a county with a military hospital in the northern
section which has a 60% (or better) breastfeeding initiation rate and a
civilian hospital in the southern end which may have a 20% rate (if it
is lucky as in 1992, it was 2%). So I see both ends of the spectrum and
get to deal with supportive HCPs, hospital practices etc. and very
non-supportive environment. I, for one, unfortunately, think it will be
a long time until we reach utopia.
  Gloria, on a Human League video, one of the pop ups reads, La Leche
League has been helping breastfeeding mothers for 40 years. So someone
working with the pop ups, knows their stuff about breastfeeding! Glad to
see things like that in a place where young people will see it.
  Pam, I have to say, I think that you are in a unique situation. I have
had the pleasure of hearing Dr. Garrettson speak (last year at the HPS I
worked on), he is a great speaker and very supportive of breastfeeding.
I think that very few of us, have someone like him around to contact.
  I know of some women who have wet nursed. One set of friends because
of problems with one baby nursing from first time new mom, babies were
about 6 months apart (there are others out there who figure out unique
ways to work these things out). The other was a couple of friends
babysitting for each other a couple of days a week, babies were born
within days of each other and both moms felt comfortable with this
solution to two breastfed babies who weren't interested in bottles the
couple of days a week they would be needed.
  I am not up on HIV and breastfeeding, but the milk banks do have
protocols as do blood banks and the organ transplant system, some of
them could be used for wet nursing. Although I do realize that
breastfeeding is an ongoing regular 'avenue' if you will for
transmission. But as organ donation, tissues transplantations, bone
marrow transplants, in vetro fertilization etc are all growing areas, I
know that there have to be guides for this issue. I agree with the
thought that it must be considered against the risk of the NOT
breastfeeding, and I am realistic enough to acknowledge that perhaps
among certain populations and/or groups, the risk may be too great to
support and encourage breastfeeding. However, I don't believe that we
should automatically dismiss breastfeeding and/or wet nursing without
some research or documented information. And as has been mentioned,
let's see who is doing the documenting and the research. If the motives
are to find breastfeeding is a risk, I am sure that they can skew the
study that way. Of course it would help if more HCPs followed the WHO
guidelines on baby feeding (#1 being breastfed, #2 moms milk fed another
way, #3 donor human milk, & #4 a human milk substitute). Around me, I
think most HCPS see only numbers 1 and 4, not any other choices.

   Oh my, when did I crawl up on the soap box?!? Getting down now. . .

Leslie Ward
Vine Grove, KY