From:
celia fuentes <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 27 Nov 2006 23:38:27 -0500
Hello,

this is my first post. I volunteer to provide support to
breastfeeding mothers  in Montréal (Canada) for Nourri-Source. We are
paired with mothers who request it by the local health clinic. I
signed up to Lactnet because I've been thinking about certification
and wanted to get to know the community. I've been impressed by the
quality of info and general etiquette of the group. I'm happy to be
part of it all!

I have permission by the mother to post this question: Her milk goes
rancid after approx. 3 days in the fridge. We think it is due to the
levels of lipase in the breastmilk. I have checked the archives and
other sources, but i can't find more details on length of time BM
should be heated, at what temperature, etc, nor how to quickly cool
down milk before freezing (simply turn off heat, in fridge, ???).
Also, are there any changes in her diet that could help? The Mother
will be going to work soon and would like to continue giving her
almost 3 month old baby BM.

Extra info: she is storing milk at the back of the fridge, and the
bottles don't seem to be the problem (as a test, she stored water in
one for several days and there was no smell).

Thanks in advance,

Celia