Date:
Sun, 29 Jul 2001 23:06:26 -0600
Being the good girl that I am, I went to church this morning and the first
thing I saw in the foyer was a table full of baby bottles.  I went on the
offensive and asked why the pregnacy crisis center was displaying a table
full of bottles.  The exhibitor was bubbling over with the cute way they had
come up with for getting people to donate to them, they were passing out the
bottles and asking people to take them home for a few weeks, fill them with
change, and return them to the church in a month.  I said that I was
offended and that bottles were not an acceptible item in my view, then
turned away and stomped into the church.  I fumed a lot and then wrote my
concerns down for the church that I handed to one of the board members.
When the exhibitor made his presentation, he acknowledged that the bottles
may not be acceptible to everyone.  No kidding!  After services I went to
several breastfeeding families and asked them that when they stopped by the
table, that they not take a bottle and tell the exhibitor why, even though
they would be happy to collect the change for the donation.  I also asked
them to write a brief note to the church officials objecting to the bottle
display.  Our church is very breastfeeding friendly and many sermons are
accompanied by the slurping of nursing babies.  Several of us go to
breakfast after services while the children are in Sunday school, and one
lady didn't "get it" until I said "if a bottle symbolizes a baby, or in
their case, a bottle is the symbol for an embryo, is that what a baby means
to you?"
    Anyhow, I'd like to send a letter to the agency and point out why the
bottles aren't acceptible.  I know one of you advocates out there has done
the same letter sometime before, so I'd like to receive a copy if you would
share it.  I'm not as good at expressing some of the WHO and Healthy
Families 2010 as many of you have shown through Lactnet and I'd like not to
have this letter ignored by the agency.
    Probably e-mail it to me directly.  Thanks a bunch!