From:
Denise Fisher <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 6 Sep 2005 00:09:54 +1000
I think it's a bit like the Schandler study - the intention may have been
very good and entirely honorable, but the interpretation is what counts.
For those who are not confident in breastfeeding supervision and management
and who read articles like this, their only way to feel confident that this
devastating condition won't occur to a baby in their care is to tell the
mother to give formula until past the danger period.
The title even calls it "Breastfeeding-Associated Hypernatremia" - the
reader is already set-up to see this as a problem of breastfeeding - and I
can just imagine how the press would interpret it should they decide to
file an article on it.

If it had been titled, 'Inadequate breastfeeding knowledge and skills of
health care providers can cause devastating problem' at least then the
cause would be located where it should be, and the call to action in the
conclusion would be something like, 'Health care providers in maternity
units must improve their breastfeeding management skills if are to prevent
this serious problem in babies.'

Denise