From:
Terri Lear <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 20 Jan 2006 19:42:16 -0500
I worked with a mom who had a strange condition that I had never seen, but
it sounds like what you are describing.  She actually let me take a close-
up picture and I sent it to Jack Newman and he had no clue.  Her nipples
were yellow and crusty and sometimes she could pull the crust off and
there'd be a sticky, yellow discharge between the crust and her new skin
beneath.  Breastfeeding (even with a nipple shield) was very painful and
she kept trying it, but finally gave up when even pumping became too
painful.  We tried everything thinking it was thrush or a bacterial
infection or maybe even eczema, but it did not respond to treatment and it
really didn't look like any of these, but we were desperate.  The mom had
a hx of miscarriage, a hx of depression and was taking Zoloft, and was
otherwise healthy and a lovely person who really wanted to breastfeed her
daughter.  The crustiness began while she was pregnant, way before the
birth.  Breasts appeared normal and milk supply was good to start, but
diminished with the lack of suckling and pumping.

I'd like to finally solve this mystery, so if anyone's heard of this,
please post.

Terri Lear, IBCLC, LLLL
Breastfeeding Solutions, LLC