From:
Rebecca Ruhlen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 16 Feb 2007 11:12:11 -0500
After hearing from many that the Feb. 3 Similac-sponsored baby fairs were
largely non-starters and hearing no reports of actual seminars led by formula
reps, I did a little digging.

Walmart's latest info is that "select" stores will have occasional seminars
(scheduled locally) led by "local experts."  A little more digging led me to this
recruitment flyer, posted on a dieticians' association's website:

http://eatrightnashville.org/babydays-template3-gc.pdf

It literally is titled "Wal-mart Needs You!" and is aimed at RDs, nutritionists,
and pediatricians.  The healthcare professional who agrees to lead a seminar
receives free publicity for their practice, basically.  In return, according to this
flyer, they sign a "letter of agreement."  The flyer also mentions training
materials and "key messaging" to be provided upon "verbal agreement."

Wouldn't we just love to see one of those letters of agreement?  Or get our
hands on a copy of the training materials and the key messaging?  I know The
International Code Monitoring Center collects evidence of violations of the
Code on Marketing of Breastmilk Substitutes ... and who knows, maybe even
the media would be interested in hearing how Wal-mart hosts these violations,
calling an event "All Things Baby" with no mention of breastfeeding?  Or
hearing about local healthcare professionals who actively undermine
breastfeeding in this way?

I wonder if any of the registered dieticians, nutritionists, or pediatricians who
read this list would be willing to contact the coordinator listed on the flyer,
express an interest in leading a seminar, and obtain the materials mentioned.

I also think it will take a nationwide and very grassroots effort to track how
many of these stores actually offer seminars and to document Code violations
that take place then.  Here is the Walmart page that lists the stores in each
state that will hold a seminar:

http://www.walmart.com/cservice/baby_stores.jsp

--Rebecca N. Ruhlen, LLLL
Davidson, NC