Date:
Wed, 18 Sep 2002 07:47:45 EDT
Lu posted the Oprah website -- while I'm not going to order the whole
transcript, they did have a list of 10 "Myths of Motherhood".  Here's Myth
#2:

Myth 2: Breastfeeding Will Be Easy.

Mothers say: I really felt like a failure when I wasn't able to breastfeed my
baby in the very beginning.

Reality: Many women have trouble with breastfeeding. They often experience
feelings of guilt and failure, because it seems like it should come
naturally. Women are also told that breastfeeding is best for their babies,
so when they have trouble, they feel that they've failed. Beginning
breastfeeding is difficult, and can be painful. It may take some hard work,
and it may not work for you and your baby. Knowing about these difficulties
before your baby is born may help you cope with your feelings.

********

It's enough to gag a maggot.

Jan Barger, RN, MA, IBCLC -- Wheaton IL
Lactation Education Consultants