Date:
Thu, 8 Feb 2001 11:13:27 -0800
Humm, It maybe easier  just to start at the beginning of my nursing history.
I became pregnant with my second when my first was 25 mo. I weaned him when
he was around 29-30 mo because he was only nursing for the last year only in
the middle of the night and he would be half awake kicking me in the stomach
every night usually 2-3 times a night.  I was now a newly single, pregnant
mother and I just felt at that time that it was more than I could take and I
moved him to his own bed.  He weaned but the night terrors got worse.  2nd
child was born end of Sept.  I nursed her until she was around 20 mos.
against her wishes.  I had mastitis several times in a three month period.
The last time I was so sick that I was delerious with fever and had severe
vomiting.  I had been struggling with depression for over a year.  My MD
kept telling me I needed to wean to take depression meds.  I kept telling
him "later, when she weans."  The reoccurrent mastitis was his straw that
broke the camel's back and it also got everyone else pressuring me as well.
(they couldn't belive I was even nursing for this long! gasp!  and now the
whole church ward knew! lol)  I weaned her after I recovered from the last
episode of mastitis (I at least knew that much :o) ) and started on the
anti-depressants that didn't really work and had such awful side effects
that I decided after trying several different kinds at several different
doses that I would rather be depressed without medications! LOL I still
reget listening to others instead of myself and weaned her so soon when she
wasn't ready.
I remarried when she was just about to turn 3yo in Sept. of 92.  I had three
misscarriges in a row before I became pregnant with my daughter who was born
July 12, 94.  When she was around 15 mo I became pregnant with #4.  She
nursed until my milk must of changed because she no longer really liked it,
which was around 19 mo.  Oh, btw, each one of my babies came later and
later.  My first was only 3 days late.  My 2nd was 8 days. My 3rd was 12
days.  By this time I was really worried! lol  My last ended up being 14
days past EDD, June 28, 96.  During the earliest contractions he was being
"hung" by the cord and heart rate would drop to zero.  He was born emergency
C-section and had severe miconium asperation.  (My last two were natural
non-medicated births.  The first was a demerol birth against my wishes and I
said "Never again!")
He was in the hospital for a month before able to come home.  All I heard
for 2 1/2 weeks was bad news.  Mostly, that they have never seen a case this
severe survive.  He was immediately transported to a hospital with a NICU
while I stayed in the maternity ward overnight.  My OB encouraged me to
leave the next afternoon so that I could go see my baby.  I was in so much
pain and couldn't go to the other hospital until the next day anyway that I
wish I would have spent one more night there.  Our now 2yo dd was still
sleeping in our bed most of the time.  One night I woke to pump and she
started stiring in her sleep and I got her to latch on.  I was about 3 wks
pp and pumping every three hours.  I was making so much milk that the
hospital told me they didn't need any more milk from me and my freezer was
so full that I had started pumping a pitcher (yes, two quarts) a day and
leaving it in the refridgator for the 2yo to drink.  The baby was still
strickly on IVs until 3wks so none of the milk was being used.  Well,
getting her to nurse at night sure was a joy!  That meant more rest for me
at night instead of getting up and pumping!  I would visit him first thing
in the morning everyday.  Get there about 730am went stright to their
pumping room.  Then visit him for 2-3 hours then go pump again before having
to go pick up my 2 and 7 yo from some nice sisters in our church that would
watch them for me.  Get home, pump, rest, fix supper, pump (usually by hand
or with a manually.  Sometimes I would also use a plug in E-----o or G----r,
but they weren't as effective.) while my dh would visit with him on his way
home from work.  As soon as he got home I would head back to the NICU.  Pump
first thing I got there and pump before I left around midnight.  He first
got to nurse around 3+ wks and did very well.  My 2yo increased her nursing
after he got home and we tandam nursed for the next 3+ years.  Yes, she then
nursed until she was 5 years and 3 months old! lol  Even with mom asking,
"When are you going to wean?"  I think her being busy with kindergarten had
something to do with it. :o)  My 4th, and so far last,  is still nursing at
4.5 yo.  I also ask him when is he going to wean and he ignores me, well,
except for that *look*.  He nurses at night, in the morning, and sometimes
in the afternoon.  He would probally nurse more if I hadn't started to tell
him "later" about a year + ago.   So for now we are both still enjoying his
"Chow" times together.  (My 3rd called it "chow" and taught him the same.)

~Zena, Lactation Counselor & Financial Consultant in Las Vegas
mother of Thad 14yo; Thea 11yo; Sariah 6yo; & Charles 4yo
www.zillioniare.com & www.wmas.com
www.slingsnthings.com

"If it wasn't *hard* then everyone would be doing it!  It *is* the *hard*
that makes it Great!"~ character played by Tom Hanks