From:
Sandy Arnold <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 4 Apr 1996 00:22:02 -0500
I had to LOL at the story of the MD that told the mom she couldn't BF because
she didn't drink enough milk!  Reminds me of a girl I saw at one of our rural
WIC clinics that chose NOT to BF.  She was about 16 yrs, and was in our
office with her brand new baby.  In assessing her diet we noted that she did
not have any servings from calcium/dairy group, and inquired if she drank
milk, ate yogurt, etc.  She replied that she loved to drink milk and usually
drank several glasses per day.  We asked her if she had run out, couldn't
afford it etc.  She said she had stopped drinking it because she was still
engorged, and didn't want it to get any worse!  We informed her otherwise,
and that her body was just responding to the needs of her new baby (poor
thing never had the opportunity to BF)  :(
...but we ALWAYS take the opportunity to educate, even the NON-breastfeeding
moms!

Sandy Arnold BS, IBCLC