From:
Jennifer Tow <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 5 Jul 2000 01:59:04 EDT
In a message dated 7/5/0 5:05:45 AM, [log in to unmask] writes:

<< Jessica--
I'm not sure what's going on with my little toot!  It honestly seems like MY
milk is hurting her stomach when she nurses.  She'll just nurse a few minutes
and then she keeps coming off crying--she'll get back on and take a few sucks
and then comes off crying again.  This has been going on for about a week
now.  She does not do this with formula at all.  Her stools are liquid dark
green with NO substance/curds in them at all and she has the most foul
smelling gas I've ever seen in a baby.  Could it be my diet??  I have had one
patient that was diagnosed as being allergic to his mother's milk--is that a
possibility??  I  feel really sad at the thought of discontinuing nursing,
but it's almost to that point.  If you have any suggestions please e-mail me
at

Many 4 mos old babies become fussy nursers, as they suddenly notice the rest
of the world. Just this alone can cause a baby to suddenly pull on and off,
nursing well only at night and when isolated from distractions. Mothers who
are w/ their babies during this time can compensate by nursing on the same
breast for several of these short feedings or can find a secluded place
(including a sling) to nurse the baby. Separation during the day makes it
more complicated. A baby who is already doing this and receives bottles, may
be *even* more likely to prefer the bottle, since feeding can be accomplished
quickly.
    Hindmilk/foremilk imbalance can be caused by the pulling off after a few
miuntes and would result in stool changes such as described. I would try
using breast compression during feeds to keep the baby going and try to avoid
distractions. Suggest a sling if she doesn't already use one. I would not
assume there is an allergy unless other things prove fruitless.
    If it seems the baby is nipple confused, I would suggest cup feeding the
baby during times of separation. Also, be sure to ask if she is giving
bottles herself. Often, moms get so frustrated by the perceived rejection
and/or starvation, that they themselves resort to bottles, not realizing they
are contibuting to the problem.
Jennifer Tow, IBCLC, CT, USA