From:
Kathy Eng <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 25 Apr 2004 14:08:00 -0500
I have never heard anywhere that LLLI says older adopted children can't be
taught to breastfeed but in my own practice I have seen the older the baby,
the harder it is for mom to teach him/her to breastfeed. Sometimes women
hear things wrong. We had one mom come to our meeting and she was treated
very kindly by all the mothers but she later told someone how all we did was
criticize her and be mean to her baby! Sometimes an individual Leader has an
opinion that she spouts off as gospel.

My suggestion is to ask these mothers exactly who said this. Then go back to
this person and very politely share what you heard. Not as criticism but
just sharing of the situation. Find out what happened or was said from the
Leader's point of view. Educate her if necessary. If you have experience
with adoptive nursing consider writing an article about it for the LLL
Leader's local newsletter or LLLI's Leader magazine, LEAVEN -- if it is
delivered to Leaders in your country. You can find out who runs LLL in your
country by looking on the web or contacting a local Leader and asking her
for the names of the Leaders who manage the local LLL governing body. (I
have been a Leader since 1992.)
Best wishes to you. Kathy Eng, BSW, IBCLC