Date:
Wed, 13 Dec 2000 15:40:11 -0600
I have a client whose baby is 7 months old.  He has had some challenges in
stools, mainly some blood and diarrhea.  Elimination of dairy foods has
resolved that, but Dad called today (They are Chinese and Dad does the
calling because Mom is unsure about her English.  And I am *quite sure*
about my Chinese.) to say that for about a week baby has had "black
strings" in his stools. Most of the stool is good, yellow breastmilk stool,
but these black strings, about 1 cm long are numerous in the stool.

What do you think that it is?  Mother has been most reluctant to totally
eliminate dairy foods, even though they bother her also, because her
Chinese friends in Milwaukee assure her that she needs milk products in
order to make adequate milk. But Dad has made it clear to her that she must
stay off dairy foods. The family eats a common Chinese diet. Could these
strings be some blood?  Isn't stool blood usually red?  Why strings?  Could
it be dairy? Is she "sneaking" dairy while he is at work?

I told him that if baby is feeling fine, unlike earlier when I was first
called, there is nothing to worry about, but that I would consult you folks
to satisfy our curiosity. I have never seen what he is describing.

Have you? Do you have ideas?

Pat Gima, IBCLC
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Mailto:[log in to unmask]