From:
Lisa Jones <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 27 May 1998 19:43:41 EDT
As an LLL Leader, it is usually quite obvious to me when to refer a mother to
an IBCLC.  One example was a mother who called for pumping information for a
return to work, and in talking revealed that her 5 week old slept through the
night and nursed only a few times per day.  A giant red flag waved when the
mom told me that she never felt full, never leaked, never heard swallowing,
never felt a let-down, and *yikes* baby had not pooped in about two weeks.  I
kept my cool talking to the mother, but I knew that something needed to be
done *pronto*!  One phone call to an IBCLC later, and atleast one follow-up at
WIC, and the baby was out of immediate danger.  (of note, the baby had been to
the pediatrician *before* the mom talked to me via phone, and apparently no
one in the dr's office noticed that this 5 week old was still under birth
weight).
  It is also nice for mothers who seek the help of an LC for involved
breastfeeding problems/challenges to also get referred back to La Leche League
for continuing emotional support.  Besides fixing the breastfeeding, it is
nice for a mother to be supported by other breastfeeding mothers so that she
remembers *why* she wants to continue nursing her baby.  One of the best ways
for a mother to feel that what she is doing is "worth it" is to see other
happy nursing mothers and babies, and also to see that other moms have
experienced and overcome challenges.
  I have learned a tremendous amount from Lactnet, knowledge which complements
my training as a Leader, and for that I am very grateful!

Lisa Jones, LLLL in Wellington, sunny south FL, USA
email to:  <[log in to unmask]>