From:
"Linda J. Smith" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 19 Mar 1998 09:27:46 -0500
Hi Lactnetters,

I'm partway through a fascinating book called "Ghosts from the Nursery" by
Robin Karr-Morse and Meredith S. Wiley (publisher is Atlantic Monthly
Press, 1997). WOW. The authors trace roots of violent and antisocial
behavior to trauma that a child may have experienced before birth and in
the first two years of life. Strong stuff, and very well-referenced.

I've long believed that when a baby won't take the breast, has a hard time
with a bottle, gags upon insertion of a gavage tube, or only can feed in
one posture (etc) that THERE IS A REASON that should be taken seriously.
Babies need to eat, and are built to breastfeed. When they can't or won't,
something is very wrong. Our efforts to get food into them with some other
method or technique may cause additional stress and trauma.

I certainly don't have the answers, but I really think this needs MUCH more
careful study by many different disciplines. Someone from other
professional backgrounds usually sees something that we can't see, and vice
versa.

Anyway, I'm finding the book very validating and confirming so far.

Linda J. Smith, BSE, FACCE, IBCLC
Bright Future Lactation Resource Centre
Dayton, OH USA
http://www.bflrc.com