Date:
Mon, 23 Jul 2001 11:14:02 EDT
The New York Times Magazine, published on Sundays, includes a regular column
called The Ethicist, in which he (Randy - I think he's a he, but I'm not
sure) replies to readers' questions about ethical dilemmas.

Yesterday's lead question was whether it was ethical for "a mother with the
resources to bf" to fail to do so -- and he said NO, that she ethically was
OBLIGATED to bf her child!   So that's a poke in the eye for the guilt
worriers.

It's a fun piece -- he mentions, as appropriate durations, that "many
American mothers nurse their children for a year" -- I wish that were truer!
-- and essentially mentions no upper limit for appropriate weaning.

To see this in a very mainstream U.S. publication is pretty amazing.   Go
find it on the web (nytimes.com) -- I believe the magazine is posted all
week, and it cheered me up considerably.

Elisheva