From:
Nancy Ferland <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 24 Oct 1999 21:40:22 -0700
Dear List,

I recently received a call from a mother who wished to have a portrait taken of herself nursing her 8 month old baby.
She would be fully clothed, no breast showing, etc.  The mall based portrait studio (not sure if I can say the name) refused
to take the picture because their actual written policy states that "breastfeeding portraits do not fall within the category
of family portraiture"!  They would however take a nude photo of a pregnant mother with her arms placed strategically,
or even of a naked baby, but absolutely no breastfeeding pictures.  The mother was shocked to say the least and so was I!
My question is:  does this mom have any legal recourse or is this just one more blatant display of stupidity?  I'd be curious
to hear if anyone else has had a similar experience.  I wish there were "breastfeeding un-friendly" stickers to place in this
store's window!

Nancy Ferland, BS, IBCLC