From:
"Hoehn, Nancy" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 12 Nov 2003 07:23:32 -0500
I completely share your feelings.  I work as a CNS, IBCLC at a level 11
hospital (I am a NP).  I was a L&D nurse for 21 years.  I've seen this "oh,
a C/S is as good as a vaginal delivery" sickness creep in during the last
5-10 years.  I've gone nose to nose with physicians (only to have mine loped
off!) on this issue.  Seems to me that the docs who opt for c/s's manage to
get more home life (or golf time) at the expense of these moms.  As you can
see I am very cynical.  I have enjoyed my new position as I am involved in
creating policies as well as seeing breastfeeding mothers.  My philosophy is
to educate, educate in every way that I can find (especially the nurses, who
need research-based information). But, when my grandson was born, I was a
wreck!  There are no easy answers to this dilemma.  I too am interested in