Date:
Sun, 1 Aug 1999 23:18:16 EDT
I am a pharmacist who rents and sells both Ameda and Medela products,
however, I am also a mother of a 16th month old who recently weaned himself.
I have worked part-time since my son was 2 months old and I can't say enough
about my Pump-In-Style.  I have also used the rental pumps and the Purely
Yours.  All are very similar in effectiveness.  I really love the fact that
the PNS is in a leather bag which is a breeze to clean and I found the top
part of the PY's case difficult to deal with.  I always left my pump in the
case, to make it easier to tote around.  I try to gauge how long my customers
plan on using the pump and if it is more than a hospital stay, I try to steer
them toward the purchase of a pump.  Rental fees, and the rental kits add up
quickly.

I am aware that many on this list are totally against the promotion of pumps.
 I went into my pregnancy "too busy" to take any prenatal classes and thought
that breast feeding would be natural and "easy."  I was sooooo wrong, but I
know that I would not have nursed my son, exclusively, for so long without
the help of my pump.  Even if I would have had the luxury to be at home 100%
of the time I still would have used my pump and thought it was great.  I am
one of the many who received formula samples in the hospital, at my son's 2
week checkup, in the mail, and from a rep at my store.  I also had family
constantly asking when was I going to stop nursing, especially after the 6
month mark.  I really think Ameda and Medela are wonderful companies that
provide very valuable products.

Jessica Rodgers R.Ph.
(and getting ready to fire my pump up again in about 6 months!)