From:
Jeanette McCulloch <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 21 Jul 2010 15:30:21 -0400
I am writing on behalf of a colleague (Karen Laing, IBCLC) who has
permission to post:

Karen writes: I'm consulting with a 34 yo G0P0 who is adopting an
infant (EDD 10/10) and wishes to induce lactation. She has been on
depo shots for 5 months to treat her endometriosis and with some
awareness that progestin fit into the protocol for induced lactation.
In my intake, patient revealed that she has only found relief for her
endometriosis by using o/c (oral contraceptive) or depo and isn't sure
she can do without this management.

My questions for anyone who has experience with induced lactation...

How can we add in estradiol supplementation in a timely way to keep
with the Goldfarb/Newman protocol for 'Accelerated Induced Lactation'?

Can we even consider that a low dose o/c could not interfere with
induced lactation? (Ie- she continues to take some form while
pumping/stimulating and ultimately, feeding her baby).
Any experienced opinion on likelihood of lactation amenorrhea with
induction of lactation? (which might also give endometriosis a
reprieve.)

Thank you for your suggestions!

Jeanette McCulloch
LLL Leader, Ithaca NY
IBCLC candidate, going back to studying now!