From:
Marie Zahorick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 10 Dec 2009 13:12:43 -0500
I have this same condition myself and several of my family members, including 1 of 3 kids.  I have the mild form but must be careful about shoes and socks, especially on long hikes or vacations.

As far as breastfeeding, I had latch trouble with two and wound up with significant cracking and then yeast infection.  THe third did much better but I still got the yeast.  Pumping was less traumatic than latching with my first (a posterior tongue tie) so it took him a while to get back to breast.  Once that initial skin damage healed, I never had any more.  I found that between my first and second babies, I had weaned him at about 2+ years and started using the lanolin cream during pregnancy, and I had a good quarter-inch of keratosis peel off my nipples gradually, so my body had actually callused the nipples in protection.  This happens a lot in my family--the feet get quite callused in protection.

I had worried about this as well, and the cracking seemed to be more severe than other moms, but I used APNO with the second and then just needed a bit of lanolin with the third.  She does need to be careful about skin maceration because I have found that hydrogels and soggy pads can be a problem.  It is better just to air out sometimes since the skin can be fragile.  My daughter's dermatologist says to stay away from Neosporin since so many people are allergic to it.  For her foot blisters, she recommended Bactroban/mupirocin.

Hope this helps!

Marie Zahorick, BA, BMus, LLLL, IBCLC
Silver Cross Hospital, Joliet, IL

A balmy negative 15 F windchill today!