From:
"Janna M. Frelich" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 4 Sep 1996 12:46:13 -0400
As I recall from listening to the recorded tape of the National
Pediculosis Association (NPA), lindane is NOT recommended anymore for lice
treatment.  I believe that pyrethrine-containing shampoos are the current
recommendation, but even then the NPA says to be careful not to use too
frequently as it's still basically a pesticide.

You can reach the NPA at (617) 449-6487 (they are in Needhamd, MA, USA).
They probably have lots of info on various treatments for lice.

Also, in a recent issue of Natural Health magazine (May or June?), one
home remedy that was referred to in the Home Remedy section, was using
Thyme essential oil as a lice treatment (apparently it kills lice!).  They
recommend putting 4 drops of the oil in 2 ozs. of your various shampoo,
washing your hair and leaving the shampoo in for 10 minutes.  Follow this
with 15 minutes of a vinegar rinse left on the hair (which will naturally
loosen the glue the nits have), then rinse with warm water and comb out
the bugs and nits.  They also say that (like the Over-the-counter NIX
[pyrethrine] treatments), that it is potentially irritating to the scalp,
so not to do more often then once every 7 days. (I'm repeating these
measures from memory, so if the mother wants to try this non-toxic method,
try to find Natural Health magazine at the local library to check the
recipe).

I highly recommend calling the NPA.  Their taped message was extremely
helpful last year in helping us eradicate a persistent lice problem.

Good luck!

                                ,,^,,
                                 `-'
Janna M. Frelich                             [log in to unmask]
Applications Programmer/Analyst
Occupational Health Program
Harvard School of Public Health
665 Huntington Ave., I-1404D
Boston, MA 02115

Coordinator, HSPH Breastfeeding Resource Center
La Leche League Leader Applicant