Date:
Tue, 3 Oct 2000 11:42:01 EDT
First, the apology. I think I just sent a whole digest back to LN by mistake. I errantly hit the "enter" key, when I meant to hit "delete". a thousand apologies ( or should that be 2000+ apologies?) Just goes to show what a little sleep deficit will do for you.

Have any of you read the IntelliHealth breastfeeding article including quotes from Ruth Lawrence? The hyperlink is:
http://www.intelihealth.com/IH/S2FWarn?page=http://www.intelihealth.com/IH/ihtIH/EMIHC000/24684/24688/295317?d=dmtContent

The first part is pretty good, follows
the AAP guidelines fairly closely. Not exactly ground breaking, but OK. I could have done without the "don't make mothers feel guilty" routine.
The end of the article is considerably more problematic. Any woman who stayed with the author this long gets the message that breastfeeding is
inconvenient, messy, unpleasant, and a millstone around a "sainted" mother's neck. A very effective strategy that has been used for years by the pharm companies to make ABM look good.
Also, the reference to anyone, and pretty much everyone, with initials after their name EXCEPT IBCLC  for information and support re: breastfeeding issues is at best sloppy, and just as likely to be a calculated move, given the heavy influence of the Pharms on this website in general. Nothing in publications, e- or otherwise, happens by innocent chance.

Sorry to sound so cynical. What's your take on this?

Beth Sargent, IBCLC
Needham, MA, USA