From:
Rose Straeter <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 6 Dec 2001 08:15:26 -0600
Date:    Tue, 4 Dec 2001 23:23:56 +0000
From:    heather <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Re: normal

>. I
>should also mention that "sore nipples", the number one reason mothers
>used to call for breastfeeding help, seem to be less of a problem.

Eeeek....not here, not by a long chalk.
As you wrote below about sore nipples and positioning - I also have people
who hesitate to come in for a consultation because they felt everything was
fine in the hospital - what do you think happens?  Do you think they never
truly understood proper positioning? or that it is changing after they go
home?
I would love to hear thoughts regarding this
Thanks
Rose Marie

Sore nipples are the most common single reason for seeking help, and
these are positional sore nipples....and the worst of it is, that
most (yes, most) women have been told by their professional advisers
that soreness is 'normal' - because of course they see so much of it.
Yes, even cracks and bleeding are 'normal'.

We are also very tired of hearing mothers say 'the (whatever health
professional) has seen me feed and says my positioning is fine, so it
can't be that....' Yet when we see what's happening, or even hear a
description of it, we are often able to suggest ways the mother can
feed without pain.

Here, positional sore nipples are far commoner than thrush (though
they may co-exist); thrush is becoming 'fashionable' as a diagnosis,
though.

A few weeks ago, a mother with a (then) 6 day old was diagnosed with
thrush and given meds....but the cause of her soreness was a very
pronounced tongue tie that  was interfering with the baby being
comfortably positioned.

Heather Welford Neil
NCT bfc Newcastle upon Tyne UK

Rose Marie Straeter, IBCLC