Date:
Thu, 13 Apr 2006 08:46:29 +0100
Thank you for posting the link about the UK Baby Cafe, Janice.

More info is at http://www.thebabycafe.org

I love the Baby Cafe - there are now 80 Baby Cafes in this network
and they are growing.

I helped to found the first one in my home city, Newcastle , and we
have a second, now, too.  These are run by midwives.

There are some distinctive aspects of the Baby Cafe that make it good.

* there is consistent branding throughout all the Baby Cafes - same
logo, same publicity materials, same high standards
* these standards include i) real coffee in proper mugs (not sludge
in paper cups) ii) a trained person on hand at every session plus a
peer supporter iii) comfortable, pleasant surroundings that are safe
for toddlers, too

The Baby Cafes are networked and overseen to maintain quality.
Support materials to help new cafes set up are available, and these
take the new Baby Cafe through what they need to know to get going,
including costing out funding.

A Baby Cafe doesn't need to be in a cafe or restaurant, just a nice
place where people can meet for a couple of hours or so once a week
and know they will get good quality breastfeeding information and
support.

Heather Welford Neil
NCT breastfeeding counsellor, tutor, UK