From:
Kathy Boggs <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 28 Apr 2004 23:04:44 EDT
Rachel writes about teaching hand expression "Had to share this as it was a
high point in a pretty good day all around."

Wanted to share my good day, yesterday, as well--one of those days I describe
as the "Lake Woebegone" of lactation consulting where all the moms were
beautiful and all the babies nursed.

Anyway, I was helping the mother of premie twins in our intermediate nursery.
Mom and I were both ecstatic because her little 3.5 pound girl latched on
with a nipple shield and took 42 ml, 10 ml more than the amount she receives by
gavage. Mom then asked me if breastmilk is really that much better than
formula. This, of course, provided me with a wonderful forum to discuss the
compelling reasons to give her babies breastmilk and the risks of formula in the US and
around the world. This all came about quite naturally, but I noticed that the
nurses working in the room were listening attentively. I couldn't have asked
for a better opportunity for teaching. This little lesson was not mandatory
for anyone and  it came about in conversation quite naturally. In reality I was
preaching to the choir when speaking to this mother. She has already breastfed
one baby long term and was quietly assenting to everything I said and asking
some great questions. It just made my day to see the staff quietly listen. The
expressions I saw were attentive and inquisitive, no frowns or eye rolling.

Kathy Boggs, RN, IBCLC