From:
Heleen Hayes <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 26 Nov 2002 08:58:23 +0100
On 25 Nov 2002 at 14:18, Valerie W. McClain, IBCLC wrote:

> Dear Sharon,
>
> Obviously two people can read the same study and come up with opposing
> views despite our common belief in the need for support of
> breastfeeding.  I am hoping this discussion will encourage others on
> this list to read this study.
> http://www.ub.rug.nl/eldoc/dis/medicine/c.i.lanting/c3.pdf

Why not read the complete thesis? I think could translate the 'stellingen' (points that the
scolar finds most important in her thesis) if Sara gives me some help.

http://www.ub.rug.nl/eldoc/dis/medicine/c.i.lanting/thesis.pdf

A go at the stellingen:

1. Even though there are PCB's and other dioxines in breastmilk, nursing has a slight
positive effect ont he neurological development (chapter 6 & 7).

2. The positive influence on brain development by mothers milk happens in the first
period of life, where particularly the first three weeks are critical (chapter 6).

3. Prenatal exposure to PCB concentrations as they are found nowadays in the
Netherlands, have a negative influence on the functioning of the central nervous system
of 42 months old toddlers (chapter 5).

4. Exposure to PCB's by the mother has a negative relation to the volume of breastmilk
a woman produces and its fat content (chapter 8).

5. PCB's pass the placenta easily, and spread themselves through the fetal tissues,
related to the amounts of triglycerides in the tissue. (Sara, maybe you could take a look
at this one (page 141 of the thesis), it is a difficult one)

6. Every fetal organ is exposed to PCB's in the same level (chapter 2).

The other 'stellingen' are not relevant to the study, but by tradition reflect the private life
or opinions of the author.

---
Heleen Hayes
Agenda: http://www.borstvoedingsagenda.nl