From:
"Henry, Felicia" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 30 Sep 2007 13:38:15 -0700
Morgan,

Reading your post about nursing of grandchildren (both the mother of nine
who could if her oldest was having children and the woman who had her mother
come) reminds me of my own grandmother.  My mother is the 10th child of 11
my grandmother had.  Since she nursed all her children there was a time span
of years between kids (except for my mother and her next oldest sister there
is only 1 year).  When my mother and her youngest sister were born her older
sisters were having children and when ever my aunts had to go somewhere
without the baby they left the baby with my grandmother who would nurse them
when they got hungry and vis a versa - my grandmother would leave my mom
and/or aunt with my older aunts to be breastfed when they got hungry.  We
all grew up hearing these stories of cross nursing and for the time was
common but seemed strange years later.  My feeling was always what a way to
cut down on sibling rivalry!

Felicia Henry, BCCE, IBCLC
Oxnard, CA