From:
Sharon Knorr <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 11 Apr 2001 18:20:32 -0400
With all due respect to Nikki, I think that any rapid change in a mother's nutrition can have an impact for some moms.  Breastmilk production does not happen in a vacuum.  It may be true that in time, if the mom nurses or pumps very frequently, her body will adjust to the change in caloric intake and milk production will again increase.  But I have seen the affect of drastic dieting in some of my own clients and I believe that it is real.  My milk supply always dropped like a stone when I got overly exhausted - this, in spite of a baby that nursed frequently and vigorously.  Once I got a little rest, my supply would rebound very quickly.  Now maybe not all moms have a exhaustion threshold, but I most certainly did and I think that the same thing can happen in relation to the diet.  I would advise these moms to start eating more again and see what happens.  If the supply does not rebound, then further investigation will be necessary.
Warmly,
Sharon Knorr, BSMT, ASCP, IBCLC
Newark, NY (near Rochester on Lake Ontario)
mailto:[log in to unmask]