From:
Linda Rosetti <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 12 Aug 1995 21:00:16 -0400
Well did I ever a can of worms :).  I posted on NICU net the information on
the WIC grants coming up. ( I hope this is OK with whoever posted the note)
 I figured that would be a sympathetic group that would support mothers,
premies and WIC.  The postings on WIC were pretty negative to any federal
interferance and that states would better manage money for their own needs.
 I suppose this was not the forum for the posting as it is a medical forum.
 I'm waiting a while to reply until I see more posting.  Maybe it's just our
small area but I see such support from the WIC office for breastfeeding and
for prenatal clients.  Education, help with getting pumps, money for
nutritious food, and unfortunately formula. I just can't imagine what some of
my clients would do without help from WIC. I doubt they would get pumps or
breastfeeding education  from the neonatoligests who posted.
Also, could someone explain to me the situation before WIC?  I remember
talking with people at ILCA conf. about the relationship with the formula co.
and WIC. But I do find myself a little confused. Could it be that removing
the federal support of a WIC program would discourage the huge formula
supplements they receive?  If I'm showing my ignorance here, be patient, I
just know what has helped premies and moms.

Linda Rosetti RN, IBCLC
Clarkston, WA. [log in to unmask]