From:
Susan Johnson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 20 Sep 2002 11:04:09 -0700
I would question 2 things (ok, I’d start with 2
things):
-- the quality of the nursing relationship
-- the quality of the maternal diet

Why?  <<Nearly two-thirds of children weaned at 6
months were stunted, the investigators report. The
likelihood of stunting was 77% for children from poor
families who were weaned after 6 months and had not
received all their immunizations in the first year of
life, they write.>>  Poverty seems to be a factor.
Are women well fed at all income levels?  What role
does nutrition play in women's breastfeeding
decisions?  And what determined a "poor" family?  What
role does illness play?

Has anyone assessed nursing patterns?  How often are
children nursed?  Are there separation issues?  Is
nursing seen as a way of holding off table foods when
there is little food for the family?  What are the
attitudes toward nursing?  Toward women?  Who eats
first?  Who eats last?  What are the literacy rates
for women?  How is breastfeeding information offered
to women?

How was "correct height' determined?

Why would 3 mos produce the least amount of
"stunting?"  Why would 0-2 mos produce more?  What
happens after 3 months?

What happens with the population nursing past 12
months?  Past the addition of complementary foods (ie
WHO guidelines)?  Who continues nursing, and why?  I
get the feeling from the wording of this study that
there is not widespread longterm nursing in India.  Is
there anyone on this list from India?

Why would this be true in India, but not for our
species across the rest of the globe:
<<breast milk alone is insufficient to meet their full
nutritional needs>>
I have seen fat healthy American babies exclusively
nursing, sometimes with vegan mothers, as long as 2
years.  Vigorous.  Applauded equally by doctors,
mothers-in-law, and passersby.

This seems crucial:
<<In the study, the types of weaning foods were not
known, the researchers write. However, "we believe
that a revision of WHO breastfeeding policy might be
required, particularly for India, WHERE POVERTY AND
MALNUTRITION  [OF MOTHERS AND CHILDREN](my emphasis,
my shouting...) continue to remain high," Dr. Padmadas
concluded.>>

Much points to the education of women, and society's
emphasis on women and children.

Whenever I hear reference to "height" I am reminded of
the first time I heard James McKenna speak.  He said
when we feed human infants cow milk ("formula" or
straight-diluted) we trade brains for height.  More
calories, more protein, more fat do not necessarily
translate into better nutrition.  It's a bit more
complicated.  Correct nutrition is the goal, and so
hard to define in an artificially fed and altered
world.

I'm outraged that anyone purporting to be a scientist
would question the appropriateness of any mammal's
milk for its own newborn young.  If this was a sci-fi
film it would be laughable and a sign of low-budget
thinking.  Which  brings up the question --

Who funded the study?

Perhaps we should also study the appropriateness of a
9 month gestation period.  Now just where is THAT idea
coming from...

Susan Johnson  MFA, IBCLC
Salt Lake City, USA