From:
Dany Gauthier <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 19 Apr 1996 11:07:56 -0400
Hi Lactnetters!

Being a lactation consultant in Montreal, Quebec, I have had lots of
experience andI have lots of information on the Niplette. Our problem here
in Quebec was that the product's marketing (media)was extremely strong, and
that they recommended their product as being safe and effective mostly
during pregnancy and lactation. But, when you read the instructions inside
the packaging, you found out that the only studies done on its safety and
effeciency was teir own!!! What was also surprising to those not in the
lactation field was that the product was not recommended during lactation.
We also know that it can cause to much breast stimulation to the pregnant
mother! So here we are: it cannot be used by pregnant moms, it cannot be
used during lactation...it CAN be used by women who are not pregnant and not
lactating and who wish to correct inverted or flat nipples. It works! But
the product should not be marketed for pregnant and nursing moms. I have
different papers on the Nipplette, but they are all in French...

The product is a very small shield (imagine the elongated portion of a
nipple shield) with a tube attached to it to which you add a serynge. You
apply this shield over the nipple, you pull out the piston of the serynge to
create a negative pressure. You then take away the serynge and close off the
tube. You can wear this in your bra all day long if you want to!!!

I think you all realise what the problem can be for nursing moms!!!Milk
leakage with no outlet...

Hope this help you all a little, if you need any other info, please e-mail me!

Dany
Dany Gauthier IBCLC
Montreal, Canada
Tel: 514-923-3792