From:
Judy Canahuati <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 21 Oct 1996 22:02:26 EDT
Karen:  In James Akree's Infant Feeding The Physiological  Basis, he
discusses the permeability of the intestine to macromolecules during the
first months of life and that the try of macromolecles of protein may be
one of the physiological mechanisms by which allergies to cow's milk
develop.  He cites a couple of references:  Savilahi, E, et al "Cow's
milk allergy" in Lebenthal Textbook of gastroenterology and nutrition in
infancy, Vol. 2, Raven Press, 1981 and Walker, W.A. et al.  Intestinal
uptake of macromolecules:  effect of oral immunization. Science, 177:
608-610 (1972).  These articles are old enough so that with the formula
companies' health visitors there has been enough time for the "fear" of
cow's milk to get around in the medical profession.

As far as I understand, the gut junctures become "tight" somewhere
around six months and that this is another one of the factors that is
involved in a baby being able to begin food at around that age.  In my
day -- one food that mother's could introduce somewhere between 7 and 8
months was cow's milk, provided the baby didn't have a reaction to it.
Real cow's milk, not the canned stuff.  It was while my children were
still young, but no longer breastfeeding that I remember that all of a
sudden the AAP changed its recommendation to that of no introduction of
cow's milk before one year.

All of those who were involved in breastfeeding promotion at the time,
wondered if this would not be some way for the formula companies to win
back the people they were losing to breastfeeding  and it seems to be
that way.

Of course, not all babies like milk are can drink it, but if they are
drinking powdered milk ("modified") and not having any reaction, they
can probably drink whole milk by about 8 months of age.  My feeling is
that we are, as usual being scammed by the companies...

Maureen, are you out there?  What do you think about it?

Susan:  I see that I didn't make myself clear -- when I talked about
requirements -- it iwould be or should be a licensing requirement of the
clinic that I refer to: to offer these options to the mother -- If all
clinics, doctors group practices, hospitals and HMOs  in Florida already
offer prenatal  breastfeeding and childcare classes, support groups,
childbirth preparation, etc. I will be pleasantly surprised.  Do
insurance companies reimburse for payments for such preparation?
Perhaps I am ignorant of Best Practices in general in the US, but it is
my understanding that not all hospitals offer all of these
possibilities, and certainly clinics and group practices do not. I
certainly haven't heard that these are reimbursed through insurance as a
general rule in the US.

Certainly it has never been my belief or intention to say that women
should be "required" to take anything.  I don't think that would be very
"mother or baby friendly".  However, I think that usually, the reverse
is true.  The woman or couple want some education, but it is not readily
available and they end up with "the American Way of Birth" which is
often deadly for bf.

If you see the video on Evergreen hospital put out by the US Committe
for UNICEF, you will see what certainly seems to be "Best Practice".  It
is hospital policy to offer all of these options to women.  Those that
don't want these options, don't have to take advantage of them.

Our electricity just went out, so I will stop now.