From:
Nancy Holtzman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 2 Sep 2001 07:40:13 -0400
Hi all, I have a tough one going right now.  This dedicated mom of a seven
week old exclusively breastfed son has been sick for over a week with
severe diarrhea.  She sent a stool culture to the lab Thursday and it was
confirmed to be c.diff and she is now taking Flagyl.  She (mom) is
adequately hydrated (going by urine output/color) but only eating small
amounts of the BRAT diet.  (Bananas, Rice, Applesauce and Toast, plus a
little chicken breast).  Baby is nursing constantly (hourly) and having
plenty of wet/soiled diapers so he seems to be getting what he needs, but
mom is weak and exhausted.  She called last night asking my opinion on
starting a formula supplement. Baby has never had anything but breastmilk.

I reviewed reasons to avoid formulaes for an exclusively breastfed baby,
ways to tell if he was getting enough breastmilk/keeping well-hydrated,
information about the risk of bottle preference and effects of formula
supps on milk supply.  She specifically asked, if she were to decide to
give formula, about cow vs soy based, and I shared information regarding
the possible risks of those, and also  the option of using the more
expensive hypoallergenic formulaes.  I didn't recommend she supplement and
I didn't recommend a specific type of formula, just shared information to
help her make a decision.  She is also waiting for a call back from the
covering pediatrician.

She is a mom who threw out the ready-to-feed bottles that came home from
the hospital with her.  She planned to give her baby only her breastmilk
during these early months, and now is sick, exhausted and worried.

What would you have said?

Nancy
Nancy Holtzman RN BSN IBCLC
Great Beginnings New Mothers Groups