From:
Kathy Dettwyler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 4 Dec 1998 11:04:29 -0600
I sent a letter to Target, and I started out very nicely acknowledging
Target's well-deserved reputation as a wonderful community citizen -- in
Houston Target and Target employees donate lots of money and time every
October for the annual "Circle of Friends" picnic of the Down Syndrome
Association of Texas.  We're talking thousands of dollars every year.  And
in my little town of College Station, a local family teamed up with a local
HMO to hold a blood drive to raise money for their daughter's expensive
growth hormone treatments -- for every pint of blood donated, the HMO would
credit the parents account with $25.00.  Target volunteered their parking
lot for the site of the blood donations, and when over 300 people turned up
(including me) to wait for HOURS in the hot sun to donate blood, Target
brought out food and sandwiches for all the people in line.  I appealed to
their wonderful reputation as "good guys" -- have not heard back from them.
 We shall see . . . .
-------
Katherine A. Dettwyler, Ph.D.                         email:
Anthropology Department                               phone: (409) 845-5256
Texas A&M University                                    fax: (409) 845-4070
College Station, TX  77843-4352
http://www.prairienet.org/laleche/dettwyler.html